Ginger Ale Corned Beef
- 1 1/2 kg piece of corned beef
- 3 litres of dry ginger ale
In large inner pot put corned beef and cover with dry ginger ale add water if needed to cover the beef ensure pot is 2/3rds full. Place on heat source and bring to the boil, reduce heat to maintain a gentle boil for about 20 mins (less boiling time needed for a smaller piece of meat). Transfer entire pot to the outer pot put on stainless steal lid. Close Thermo pot and leave cooking for at least 3 hours.
or try this one:
Corned Silverside & Veggies
- 1 1/2 kg piece corned silverside
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup brown vinegar
- 1 tblsp french mustard
- Hot water
- Place all ingredients into the large inner pot. Pour hot water into the inner pot to cover the corned silverside ensuring it is 2/3 full. Cover with stainless steel lid.
- Place onto the stove and bring to the boil stirring intermittently.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat and maintain a gently boil for 20 minutes.
- Transfer to the Themopot for the minimum cooking time of 3 hours.
Dutch Spiced Steak
( serves 4 )
- 500g gravy beef, diced
- 3-4 carrots
- salt & pepper
- 6 onions
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1½ cup beef stock
- 1 Tablespoon cornflour
- potatoes for mash if desired
- Brown meat in the large inner pot. Add remaining ingredients except flour. Bring to boil and cook gently for 1 hour. Place in the chamber of the Thermopot.
- Fill the smaller inner pot to the top with boiling water cover with a lid.
- Set it on top of larger pan and close off Thermopot and set aside for a minimum 5 hours.
- Around 3 hours into the cooking, blend the cornflour with a little cooled stock juice or water. Stir into the meat. Replace top saucepan with fresh boiled water and continue cooking for the remaining 2 hours minimum or see note.
- Drain and mash potatoes as desired before serving.
Note: If desired instead of adding just boiling water to the small pot, peel and cut potatoes and place into smaller inner pot. Cover with boiling water and return to the boil on hotplate for 5-8 minutes. Transfer into the Thermopot and continue cooking remaining 2 hours minimum.
Mexican Chicken Delight and Rice
In the larger pot:
- Thawed Chicken Breast, chopped in chunks (bring to a boil covered in one to two inches of water.) Then Add:
- One Large Jar of chunky Salsa
- One drained can of chunky Pineapple
- One drained and rinsed can of Black Beans
- One Drained can of Corn
- get to an even boil….for four minutes while stirring.
- after getting the chicken to a boil….at the same time in the smaller pot make long grain rice… 4 cups of water to a boil then add 2.5 cups rice…boil four minutes…
- stack rice pot on top of the Mexican chicken meal… place both pots into the Bunyips Thermopot for at least two hours, but can be eaten up to eight hours later. Serve with tortilla chips!
Beef and Barley Soup
This one is a bit more complicated with more ingredients and steps but is well worth it.
- 500 grms blade steak (or similar)
- 3/4 cup carrots sliced
- 230 gms mushrooms
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 brown onion
- 1 tsp Thyme (dried)
- 2/3 cup pearl barley
- 3 cups of beef stock
- 3 cups of chicken stock
- 1 tbsp tomato past
- 1 tbsp oil
- salt and pepper
- 2 tsp soy soup
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat the oil. Season the beef with salt and pepper and add to the skillet, cooking for 1-2 minutes, browning on all sides.
- Scoop the meat into the large inner pot. Return the skillet to medium heat and add the carrots, mushrooms, onion and garlic. Cook for 4-5 minutes until the carrots and mushrooms start to soften. Stir in the tomato paste and thyme and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Whisk in the chicken stock and simmer for a minute or so in the smaller inner pot. Pour the mixture into the larger pot with the beef. Add the beef stock, soy sauce and barley. Give the soup a good stir and bring to a gentle boil for about 20 minuets, put the lid on and place in the Bunyips Thermopot for at least 4 hours
- remove inner pot from the Thermopot and bring back to the boil for about 5 minuets check the barley, if still hard return the inner pot to the Thermopot for an additional 2 to 3 hours7-9.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste, if needed, before serving.